Inside one frumpy, overweight puppet's malfunctioning television set is a surreal dream world where he meets multiple copies of himself over and over again.
When his copies reveal a dark secret, our hero must decide what makes him truly original!
Do You Copy? has been developed and performed in short sections at the Hoontown International Puppet Festival 05, the Puppet Rampage Festival 07, One Arm Red, The Little Angel Theatre, and the Puppet Centre Trust. It is supported by NYSCA, the Puffin Foundation, and private donors.
--- Lake Simons
In society, we are saturated by media and technology, fueling our anxieties about its effects on our behavior, our psyches, and our interior lives. Our sense of self becomes more and more defined by our relationship with each of our multiplied and mediatized selves. Through webpages, social networking, email, and digital pictures we publicly and privately define ourselves. Do You Copy? addresses this anxiety. Instead of blaming technology for the destruction of society and personal identity, Copy suggests our own complicity in creating and understanding our ‘real’ and ‘virtual’ selves.
- Bangkok International Fringe Festival 2005
- Puppeteers of America, Puppet Rampage Festival 2007
- One Arm Red July 2008
- One Arm Red Nov 2008
- Fall 2005 - Development at the Gertrude Stein Repertory Theater, NYC
- Spring 2007 - Development at the Ommaney Studio and the Puppet Cetre Trust, London
- Summer 2007 - Development at Little Angel Theater, London
- Spring 2008 - Development at One Arm Red in Brooklyn